Monday 8 September 2014

Cover Catch-Up (15): The Effects of a Little Blurring!

In "Cover Catch-Up" I share some covers that have either been recently revealed, or that I've just found and really wanted to share. 

I haven't shared any covers with you all for a little while, so today I've got three!! :D All of the covers have a bit of a blurry or blurred element to them, and I love that they each add a different element to what the cover represents.

-----------------------------------

The first cover I have today is for Jodi Meadow's The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen #1)!


Wilhelmina has a hundred identities.

She is a princess. When the Indigo Kingdom conquered her homeland, Wilhelmina and other orphaned children of nobility were taken to Skyvale, the Indigo Kingdom’s capital. Ten years later, they are the Ospreys, experts at stealth and theft. With them, Wilhelmina means to take back her throne.

She is a spy. Wil and her best friend, Melanie, infiltrate Skyvale Palace to study their foes. They assume the identities of nobles from a wraith-fallen kingdom, but enemies fill the palace, and Melanie’s behavior grows suspicious. With Osprey missions becoming increasingly dangerous and their leader more unstable, Wil can’t trust anyone.

She is a threat. Wraith is the toxic by-product of magic, and for a century using magic has been forbidden. Still the wraith pours across the continent, reshaping the land and animals into fresh horrors. Soon it will reach the Indigo Kingdom. Wilhelmina’s magic might be the key to stopping the wraith, but if the vigilante Black Knife discovers Wil’s magic, she will vanish like all the others

Jodi Meadows introduces a vivid new fantasy full of intrigue, romance, dangerous magic, and one girl’s battle to reclaim her place in the world.
First, this books sounds amazing! A princess, a spy...a threat! Ooooooooh! It sounds so intense, and this cover definitely represents what I expect this book will be like. It a gorgeous cover, and I love the little details. The ethereal look of the cover really seems to suggest the magic that will be in the book, and I just love how everything is almost glowing. There is a softness that blurs a lot of the background of this cover together, but I think that makes it look so much more mysterious and magical. And the knife with the light glinting off of it is a fantastic touch! I Such a wonderful cover!! I love it!

-----------------------------------

The second cover that I have today is for Lies I Told by Michelle Zink! 


What if, after spending a lifetime deceiving everyone around you, you discovered the biggest lies were the ones you've told yourself?

Grace Fontaine has everything: beauty, money, confidence, and the perfect family.

But it’s all a lie.

Grace has been adopted into a family of thieves who con affluent people out of money, jewelry, art, and anything else of value. Grace has never had any difficulty pulling off a job, but when things start to go wrong on the Fontaines' biggest heist yet, Grace finds herself breaking more and more of the rules designed to keep her from getting caught...including the most important one of all: never fall for your mark.

Perfect for fans of Ally Carter, Cecily von Ziegesar, and Gail Carriger, this thrilling, high-stakes novel deftly explores the roles of identity and loyalty while offering a window into the world of the rich and fabulous.
This cover really blurs everything together and I think in the case of this book it fits perfectly! Even the cover "Lies I Told" suggests a fair amount of falsity, and the book's description definitely fits that. The blurring on the cover makes me think that the character isn't quite defined, or that no one really knows who she actually is and that they can't see her clearly. So, I think this cover is fantastic! I also love that you can see that the girl on the cover is wearing all black...pretty fitting since the main character, Grace, has been adopted by a family of thieves. ;)

-----------------------------------

And the final cover I'm sharing today is for No Parking at the End of Times by Bryan Bliss!

Abigail’s parents have made mistake after mistake, and now they've lost everything. She’s left to decide: Does she still believe in them? Or is it time to believe in herself? Fans of Sara Zarr, David Levithan, and Rainbow Rowell will connect with this moving debut.

Abigail doesn't know how her dad found Brother John. Maybe it was the billboards. Or the radio. What she does know is that he never should have made that first donation. Or the next, or the next. Her parents shouldn't have sold their house. Or packed Abigail and her twin brother, Aaron, into their old van to drive across the country to San Francisco, to be there with Brother John for the "end of the world." Because of course the end didn't come. And now they're living in their van. And Aaron’s disappearing to who-knows-where every night. Their family is falling apart. All Abigail wants is to hold them together, to get them back to the place where things were right. But maybe it’s too big a task for one teenage girl. Bryan Bliss’s thoughtful, literary debut novel is about losing everything—and about what you will do for the people you love.
This cover uses the blurring element like a fog or mist, which again is really fitting for the book! In the case of this cover though, the blurred element makes me think of uncertainty because of the words on the cover: "WE ARE NOT OKAY". The book's description also mentions San Francisco, so maybe that has to do with the fog, too...either way, I think it looks fantastic! :D

-----------------------------------

I love these three covers! I think they all seem to embody their books so well. I can't be sure I guess because they aren't out yet and I haven't read them, but just reading the descriptions make me think that they all are perfect fits! I can't wait to read these books and see if they actually are! I also love that they use similar effects to convey very different things; it's very interesting to see!

What do you think of these covers?
What covers have you found recently that you loved?

1 comment:

  1. I really like these covers and I like the blury aspect in general on covers. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D