Thursday 5 July 2012

Review: Teen Boat! by Dave Roman and John Green

Source: Received a copy from Thomas Allen and Sons for an honest review.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Release Date: Already Released.
Number of Pages: 144 (Hardcover)

Blurb from Goodreads:
High school can be a time of terrible angst—Fs on tests, bullying jerks, broken hearts,
and late-stage puberty are just some of the potential issues that all teen boys face. But
what about the issues facing a Teen Boat? In this hilarious send-up of teen story tropes,
the best-selling author Dave Roman and the cartoonist John Green deliver high school
and high seas drama with a boatload of laughs.



I don't typically read many graphic novels, but I actually really enjoyed Teen Boat!, and I'm glad that I gave it a chance because it had me constantly laughing. :)

One thing that I always appreciate about graphic novels is the artwork, and I thought that John Green did a fabulous job on Teen Boat!! The art matched the lines within the story so well, and I absolutely loved Teen Boat's transformation. It just looked so cool, and even though it was a static image, I could totally picture it in motion, which made it that much more amazing. :)

Along with the fabulous art, the story was fabulous! I especially loved all of the puns...I am a HUGE sucker for puns, and Dave Roman did them extremely well, and John Green drew in those puns thereby making them even more awesome! :D Who knew punny (not to be confused with puny :P) drawings were even better than just plain ole puns! ;D

The one thing that kind of confused me about the graphic novel was its setup. It's broken up into what I would call different issues, which made me wonder if it was originally intended to be in multiple issues or not. They could be seen as chapters though, and that makes it a more fluid novel in itself. So, if you read this one, think of them as chapters and you probably won't be a bit confused once you get to the second one. I probably should've thought of that when I started reading it myself. :P lol

Overall, I really enjoyed reading Teen Boat!, I thought that it was funny, and had wonderful artwork, which had me nostalgic for the days when I used to read Captain Underpants...because those books totally made me laugh like crazy, just like Teen Boat!. I would recommend Teen Boat! to fans of graphic novels who like to laugh, and also to fans of puns who are looking for something a little different. I'm sure all John Green and Dave Roman fans will totally love it, too.

Have you read Teen Boat! yet?
What do you think of graphic novels?
Got any good puns to share?? ;P

4 comments:

  1. I don't usually read graphic either, but good to know theres a great storyline behind the artwork.
    Thanks for review.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Brandi! And thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Ambur!

    I am thrilled you enjoyed TEEN BOAT! It is a fun book to draw! And you've noticed an interesting thing about the book's chapters: original, TEEN BOAT! started as 8-page black and white mini-comics that Dave and I released at comic conventions. So that could explain the episodic nature of each chapter. This book collects them all in color, plus about 40 pages of new material.

    Now back to working on TEEN BOAT! volume 2!
    -John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, John! :D

      First, thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting on my review! :D That was really awesome of you. :D Second, that makes a lot of sense, and it's really interesting...I didn't know that. :D Very neat!

      Yay! I'm glad to hear that, I was hoping there was going to be more! :D

      Thanks again for taking the time to visit my blog! :D

      Delete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D