Monday 30 July 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? (82)

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? at One Person's Journey Through a World of Books

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?, is a bookish meme hosted by One Person's Journey Through a World of Books, where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week. It’s a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list. So hop on over to Journey and join in...and leave a comment here so I can check out what you are reading.

You may have noticed I didn't post a Monday post last week, and that was because I was way too tired. :P That means this week's post is for the last two weeks...so that's why there are more than usual. :P Plus, the books I just couldn't not tell you about a couple of the books from the week before last, they were too good! :D

Books I Read The Last 2 Weeks:
  • May B. by Caroline Starr Rose
This one had a bit of a slow start for me, but soon I was wrapped up in May's world, and she totally had me hanging on her every word. May is such a strong character, and I was seriously impressed by her and by this book. :)
Oh my GOODNESS!!! I LOVED THIS ONE! Yes, I loved it so much it warrants capital letters!!! This is definitely my favourite book of this series so far, and it leaves me extremely excited for the next one! The Rise of Nine was so full of action, and I love that we're getting to meet more of the characters! I also loved that this one had Six's POV! She's my favourite! :D

I'm totally kicking myself for not reading this one sooner! I absolutely loved this one! :D It was amazing, and I love how Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of The Red Death fit in with it. I'm especially glad that I made sure to read Poe's short story before this one (although to be honest, I've been meaning to read most of Poe's work for a long time, and one day I will read it ALL haha ;D). I definitely can't wait for this one's sequel... and I'm going to be desperately waiting for it until it's out! :D

Well, this is definitely not a book for the faint of heart. It's pretty erotic, and it may be short, but this one is definitely not tame. I enjoyed it. It was a quick read, and it definitely seemed like quite the intro to a series. I've never read a series with three authors before though, so I'm definitely planning on looking into the following books. Also, as I mentioned this is an introduction to the series, and you can find it for free on Amazon. (That's a link right there by the way. ;D)

Oh my! I loved this one! :D It was a pretty quick read (only 112 pages on ebook according to Goodreads), but the characters were amazing! I absolutely adored Caden and Makenna, and I definitely enjoyed their chemistry! I also don't think I've ever gotten so attached to characters after such a short time. I guess having two characters get stuck in an elevator and reveal things about themselves is a great way for them to get to know each other, and for the reader to get attached to them, too. ;) I only wish this one had been longer, just so I could have more! :P I definitely plan to reread it in the future. :D

I really liked this one. :) It was a cute story. Not my favourite Jennifer Echols book...no that would be either Going to Far or Forget You...those two were amazing! But, I still really enjoyed this one. I thought Max and Gemma were fantastic, but I just didn't click with it as much as the other two. :P I still really liked it though. :)

  • Team Human by Justine Larbalestier, and Sarah Rees Brennan
This book was a so-so read for me. I liked it, but I definitely didn't love it like I thought I would. I actually took a break from reading it for a while, and that helped me enjoy it more, but I still couldn't really get past what I didn't like in the first part. I honestly just could not stand the main character, Mel, for a big chunk of the beginning of this book. She was just so mean, and so rude...but was trying to pass it off as being funny. I understood she was trying to protect her friend, but I just needed a break from her for a while. Once I picked the book up, I really enjoyed it. Mel also was a lot better in the 2/3rds of the book that I still had left too, so that really helped. By the end of the book I actually liked her, but I still just didn't like her in the beginning, so overall I just liked this one, but there are supposed to be sequels, and I do plan on reading them because I definitely enjoyed the last 2/3rds of the book. So, if you start this one and don't like Mel at first either, just take a break from her about 1/3rd of the book in..trust me, she grows on you. ;)

Reading Now:
I'm just starting this one, but so far I think it's pretty interesting. :) It's not in the point of view that I was expecting, but so far I really like how it's going. I'm looking forward to reading more! :D

I like this one, but I haven't gotten hooked yet. I think it's that there are five different narrators. I do like the variety, but it makes it kind of hard to connect to them all. I love the verse as always though, and I like how each character has a poem at the start of each of their sections. It's a nice touch. :)


Books I Want to Read This Week:
Zombies! I am so excited for this book, so hopefully I can read it this week. :D

And what are you reading???
Feel free to leave a link to your Monday post in the comments. :)

Check out One Person's Journey Through a World of Books to see what other people are reading. :)

10 comments:

  1. You had a great reading week. I have been curious about Tiger Lily and will be eager to hear what you think. Here is my Monday Report. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last two weeks were definitely pretty good reading-wise for me, that's for sure. :) I'll definitely let you know once I finish. Thanks, and happy reading to you, too. :)

      Delete
  2. OMG! I so want to read Masque of the Red Death and I'm upset you didn't love Team Human. I was really interested in that one but now my enthusiasm has been slightly dampened. Ah well. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masque of the Red Death was amazing! :D I hope you get to read it soon. You'll probably love Team Human. I just really didn't like Mel at first. She got better though. I just thought she was really rude for parts of it...and I'm not a fan of rude people at all, but I'm sure any sequels will be fantastic because she seemed to lose her rude-side as the book went on. I'd still read it if I were you, and hopefully you'll love it. :) Thanks for commenting, Kris, and happy reading to you, too. :)

      Delete
  3. Great books! Team Human is on my TBR list AND I still have to read I Am Number Four ... though I've heard it's amazing!

    I just went and bought Hearts In Darkness based on your review ... it sounds great!

    Enjoy your reads ... I hear Tiger Lily is really good! And I love the cover for Bad Taste in Boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Oh, you definitely NEED to read I Am Number 4! :D I love that series. :D

      Yay! :D I'm glad that I could convince you to get it because it was AMAZING! And hopefully you think so too! :D

      Thanks, Kristilyn! :D I've heard the same! Hopefully I love it! :D I know, it's so awesome. :)

      Delete
  4. That's great you've managed to read tons even if you've been tired outside of it. I'm so glad you loved May B. in the end. For me it was that quiet kind of perfect.

    Five narrators is a lot for Tricks. I think three, like in Fallout, is pushing it. Maybe once you get used to them it'll be easier though, and I'll be curious to see your final thoughts. I definitely need to pick up another Hopkins book! I have Impulse but it's in storage somewhere... I hate borrowing books I already own, it's so annoying. I did get approved on Edelweiss for Collateral though.

    Very disappointed about Team Human! I had only heard great things about it, so it's good in the end it won you over. I'm not sure if it's really for me since I was never really into the vampire thing to begin with, but I may give a try.

    Anyway happy reading! I need to get back to this meme... Maybe it's not too late to do it today, but probably next week ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've probably partially been tired because of reading. :P Last week when I read The Rise of Nine, and Masque of the Red Death I may have stayed up later than I should have...maybe. Okay, I did. :P I completely agree, it definitely was. :)

      It is a lot! That's what I was thinking too. That true, hopefully you can find it in all your stuff. ;) I didn't even know it was on Edelweiss! I hope it's still up there!

      I was kind of too! I thought I would like Mel. :( Thankfully she grew on me. Oh, it's kind of an anti/pro-vampire book. It could work for either type. I did like that versatility to be honest. You should. I thought the writing was great, and the last big chunk was wonderful, but Mel really spoiled the beginning for me, and that feeling kind of stuck. Who knows, maybe you'll like Mel even when I didn't. :P lol

      Thanks, Zoë! Awe, I wish you had, but oh well. I'll be keeping my eyes open for next week's then. :P lol Happy reading to you, too! :D

      Delete
  5. OH MY GOSH!!!!! I loved the Darkness book too! it seems so strange for the book to be held in an elevator, but it worked soooo stinkin' well. I loved it and loved the characters :) So glad to see another fangirl!

    Have a great reading week!
    The Brunette Librarian Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :D *virtual high five!* I know! It does, but it was actually amazing! It did sound pretty good just from the blurb, too, but it totally blew me away! I didn't expect to love it so much! :D Yay for fangirling over the same book! :D

      Thanks, and the same to you. :)

      Delete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D