Wednesday 7 March 2012

Review: Black Heart (Curse Workers #3) by Holly Black

 Source: Received an ARC from Simon and Schuster Canada for an honest review.
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Number of Pages: 296 (Hardcover)

Blurb from Goodreads:
Cassel Sharpe knows he’s been used as an assassin, but he’s trying to put all that behind him. He’s trying to be good, even though he grew up in a family of con artists and cheating comes as easily as breathing to him. He’s trying to do the right thing, even though the girl he loves is inextricably connected with crime. And he’s trying to convince himself that working for the Feds is smart, even though he’s been raised to believe the government is the enemy.

But with a mother on the lam, the girl he loves about to take her place in the Mob, and new secrets coming to light, the line between what’s right and what’s wrong becomes increasingly blurred. When the Feds ask Cassel to do the one thing he said he would never do again, he needs to sort out what’s a con and what’s truth. In a dangerous game and with his life on the line, Cassel may have to make his biggest gamble yet—this time on love.



I still remember reading White Cat, and trust me I went fangirl over that book! I have always loved the concept behind this series, it's so unique, and it's so remarkably well done! I love Holly's Modern Faerie Tale books...but the Curse Workers, they blow my mind! I absolutely LOVE THEM! And this one...Black Heart is by far my favourite of the trilogy! The perfect ending to an incredible trilogy! :D

I absolutely love Cassel. He just gets better throughout the trilogy, and I always just want to give him lots of hugs. He's had some rough times, and I always feel bad when he's trying to deal with stuff that he's done or thinks he's done when it isn't really his fault. He was awesome in Black Heart though! Seriously clever, and probably at the most honest we've ever seen him...which, let's face it for Cassel is quite the feat! :P

Overall, Black Heart was amazing! There was a lot of relationship/friendship drama, and some extreme stuff (I'm being overly general here, but I don't want to spoil anything :P) that constantly keeps you reading. I barely put this book down, and I only stopped reading because it was late at night and I was falling asleep. If you start it early don't be surprised if you finish this book in one solid read, it's seriously addictive!

If you haven't started this trilogy yet...you need to! It's one of my favourites, and since I've just finished the final book in the trilogy, I can also tell you that this is one of those trilogies that will leave you satisified from the beginning to the end. The ending is a bit open-ended, but it settles everything that you feels NEEDS to be settled, which is always awesome...plus, the ending of Black Heart was perfect! I honestly don't think I could have thought of a better ending than what was there! Holly Black has definitely hit the perfect score with it! I'm seriously so happy that it ended the way that it did, and I hope that everyone else will love it as much as I did! :D

Have you read White Cat, or Red Glove, yet?
Are you anxiously awaiting Black Heart?!
Any thoughts on this series?

Also, I guess with this one you have to mention it...the covers?
What are your thoughts on the cover changes that this trilogy has had?

After the first book, White Cat, there were slight changes to the Red Glove cover, and with Black Heart the entire cover concept has changed. No people, no smoke, nothing that the others had.
I'm not really a fan of the new covers, and I'm still upset that my other two hardcovers will never match this one, but I will tell you that, the book is worth it. Even without the matching covers, it is one heck of a story!

Purchase Links:
Book Depository: UK / US
Amazon: UK / US / Canada
Barnes and Noble

1 comment:

  1. hey ambur! just wanted you to know you've been tagged! enjoy and be blessed, http://karathewriter.blogspot.com/2012/03/ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D