Sunday 5 February 2012

In Loving Memory of Ranger ♥

So, you might have noticed that last week I stopped posting after Wednesday. I had planned on having more posts, but I wasn't really up to it. 

Last week my dog passed away in his sleep. I wasn't even really sure I wanted to post about it, but I kind of just needed to get it out, and I want to put something on my blog in memory of him. So, I'm going to tell you all a bit about him. I know most of you aren't following my blog to hear about my dog, but I hope that you can put up with my blabbering for a little bit. 

♥   IN LOVING MEMORY OF RANGER   ♥

November 4, 1995 - February 2, 2012

His name was Ranger, and he was 16 years old. My brother and I got him for Christmas in 1995. 

On Christmas Eve at our family Christmas party we opened up a big cardboard box and inside...there he was. He was black, so of course, our name suggestions were pretty literal. I wanted to call him Black Beauty because...well I was four, I loved the movie, and he had a bright white star-shaped spot on his chest. My brother wanted to name him Black Power Ranger because we used to watch the Power Rangers all the time...so my mom suggested Ranger, and that's what we named him. 

He was the first pet we ever had, and with all the pets we had following him he was almost a maternal figure, which was funny because he was a boy, but also so adorable. He'd clean our rabbits or hamsters with his tongue, and make sure they were safe. We always joked that he should have been a mommy. Once my mom's friends had some little ducklings and he was watching them and making sure they stayed away from the stairs and one bit his nose and he didn't even care, he just kept watching them. He was so selfless, and he had so much love to give.

He grew up with me, and he was one of the best friends I could have ever asked for. If I was sad, he'd give me a big kiss, and wouldn't stop until I was laughing instead of crying. If I needed a hug, or if he needed one, he'd rub along my side and nestle in my arms. He was an amazing dog, an amazing friend, and a beloved family member. He lived a long, happy life, and he had the best bark in the whole world....and yes, I'm going to stick with that claim. I'd come home, and he'd welcome me with an "arrroooo-oooo." It was almost musical, and my mom and I agreed that our only regrets with him were not getting that sound recorded, and not taking enough pictures. We have plenty when he was younger, but not many of him recently. Still, I'm going to share some of the pictures I do have with you all.

Here's Ranger posing with me in my grad dress....he didn't like me picking him up like that. He's got his "seriously you're making me pose" face on.
 Big Yawn...and look at that tongue. :P
Cute one on the couch.
Arroooo-oooo ♪♫ Either that or he's growling because we were teasing him...both make me smile though.
My boy with a shaggy haircut. :)

I'm going to miss him so much, and it's going to be so hard to get used to not having him around, but I'm so grateful for the time that he had with us, and I'm glad that he went peacefully...and that he got a nice big supper on his last night. I'm trying to remember the wonderful memories of him that I do have, and not dwell on the fact that he's gone, but I know that will take some adjusting. He was such a big part of my life that it's hard not to notice he's gone...and I know I'll never stop missing him, nor will my love for him ever fade. He was the best dog I could have ever asked for.

I love you, Ranger, and I'll never forget you. I miss you baby boy. ♥

Thanks for listening guys, and I hope that all of your family, friends and pets are doing well and live long and happy lives. But for now, don't forget to love them, enjoy and spend as much time with them as you can. It's those moments that you'll always cherish, so make sure that you have plenty.

Best Wishes,

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I am so sorry for your loss. I love my dog more than words could ever express, but I think you did a wonderful job. Hugs.

    <3 Rest In Peace, Ranger.<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kara. Same here, so it's been very tough not having him around. Thank you, I'm glad that I can put something here to remember him by, and thanks for your hugs and your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post and what a beautiful tribute to your beloved companion. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so so sorry for your loss. you are very lucky to have a special doggie like that. i have a doggie that i love very much and i can't imagine life without him. i post pictures of him whenever i can cuz he's so darn cute.

    please feel free to post more pics of Ranger, we will love looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ambur!! I'm so sad for you, sweetie. I totally know what you're going through, and it's always so intense. I'm so sorry he's gone, but like you said, it's so good that it was peaceful. I know you'll miss him incredibly, but I'm so glad you had so many long years with him and good memories of him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss. It's tough with pets... you just wish they could live for as long as you do, you know? So you never have to say bye to them. Especially childhood pets that you grew up with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Pammy pam: Thank you for your kind words, Pam, and you're right, I was very lucky to have such an amazing dog. I'll miss him, that's for sure. I'm glad you have a special dog, too, and I hope that he lives a long, happy life. Thanks, I may just have to look through some of our old photos and find some good ones of him, and thank you again for your condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so, so sorry. My heart is broken for you. Losing a pet is one of the hardest things in the whole world and I know how much it hurts. :( He is in doggy Heaven now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss. You did a wonderful tribute to Ranger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a heartbreaking post and a heart-breaking situation but this is incredibly honest and beautiful and I'm glad you decided to share these Ranger memories. It's great that you have so many happy ones.

    p.s. I can't believe your parents surprised you with him a cardboard box, I thought that only happened in movies! I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so so sorry for your loss. Losing a lifetime buddy who loves unconditionally is so difficult. My thoughts are with you, as are my tears.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Zoë: Thanks, Zoë. I do have lots, it's definitely something I can be grateful for.
    That they did. :) It was an amazing Christmas. Best present I ever got.

    @Donna: Thank you for your kind words, Donna. It sure is, but even though he's gone, at least I'll never forget him. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Chrystal: Thank you, I'm glad that you think so, and thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh lordy. How sad. :o( So sorry, Ambur. Losing a pet totally sucks. And he was a real cutie, for sure. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. @jabelfield: Thanks, Julie. It definitely does suck. He sure was. *hugs back*

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear about Ranger. It's so hard to lose a furry child. My heart and prayers go out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Jessica: It sure is hard, and thank you for your kind words and condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry for your loss. When you've had a pet that long, through so many life changes, it just guts you to lose them. But I loved reading about your wonderful Ranger. Thank you for sharing him. It will get easier.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D