Friday 30 December 2011

Review: Prized (Birthmarked #2) by Caragh M. O'Brien

Source: egalley from Netgalley.
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Release Date: Already Released.
Number of Pages: 368 (Hardcover)

Blurb from Goodreads:
Striking out into the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone survives only to be captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where women rule the men who drastically outnumber them, and a kiss is a crime.  In order to see her sister again, Gaia must submit to their strict social code, but how can she deny her sense of justice, her curiosity, and everything in her heart that makes her whole?



I absolutely loved the first book in this series, Birthmarked, so I was really excited to read Prized, and I wasn't disappointed! While the feel of the two books differs quite a bit, they both still have Gaia, and they both still center around some very amazing women...and powerful women.

In Prized, Gaia has left her home and is now in Sylum. Sylum is completely different than the world she knew before. First, the women are the ones in control, and the leader is a woman. In Sylum, women aren't only in control. They are valued because the men far outnumber them, and as a new member of the society, being a midwife and being a woman, Gaia is highly valued. It seems as if Gaia should have more freedom in this new place, but that couldn't be further from the truth. There are very strict social structures to abide by, and Gaia is pressured and looked at in ways that she never thought she was before.

As to Leon's whereabouts, and his status...well, I can't tell you that. You're just going to have to read Prized to find out. If I told you I'd just spoil it for you after all, but I'll give you at least a taste...Gaia does mention him, more than once...but I won't tell you if that's all the input he has in the story. :P Even without her feelings Leon, Gaia would have found herself in a pretty twisted love situation. Not only does she still think about Leon, but she also has two brothers who are both interested in her. It gets pretty dramatic, and complicated...and it will definitely keep you on your toes.

Birthmarked was an amazing beginning to this series, but Prized holds its own and offers a completely different view of the world, and of Gaia. Being placed in such a different society shows the reader a whole new side of Gaia, and she is challenged in a variety of new ways. I've read in reviews that some people have read Prized before Birthmarked, or without even planning on reading it, and I think you definitely could. You get a lot of history in Prized, without it being redundant though, which is so nice, but I'd recommend reading Birthmarked...if only to get to see lots and lots of Leon. ;) If you loved Birthmarked, Prized will probably surprise you because it certainly feels like a very different story, but once again, you will be captured by the story, and I hope that you will be satisfied, just like I was.

Have you read Prized yet?
How about Birthmarked?
Thoughts on either of the books? :)

Happy Reading!!!

♪♫ Ambur

2 comments:

  1. I have read them both and I love them both! These books are just amazing. I can't even remember how I found BIRTHMARKED but I borrowed it from the library in 2010 I think and I was wowed. It was originally supposed to be a standalone, which would have worked, but I'm glad the publishers and Caragh M. O'Brien decided to pursue the story further. It is SOOOOO good!

    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you loved them too, Amber! :D I had people recommend Birthmarked to me, and then I borrowed it from the library, too. So glad I did! I heard that, and I'm glad it was extended too! I completely agree!

    Thanks for commenting, and happy reading! :D
    Ambur

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D