Tuesday 27 December 2011

Review: Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare

Source: ARC sent by Simon and Schuster Canada for an honest review.
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Release Date: December 6, 2011
Number of Pages: 497 (hardcover)
(Goodreads Link.)

Blurb from Goodreads:
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends. 

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.



I loved Clockwork Angel, and I have been waiting anxiously for Clockwork Prince, so when an ARC of CP turned up in my mailbox, I literally screamed and jumped for joy....I also had a smile on my face for at least a day afterwards. I immediately dropped everything and started reading...and I didn't stop until I finished.

Clockwork Prince is a remarkable story. It will hook you from the very first page, and will keep you in its thrall until its very last...it will also keep you guessing. I absolutely loved Clockwork Prince. As always, Cassandra Clare has delivered yet another beautiful (and addictive) piece of fiction. The characters draw you in even further into their story, and they will tear at your heartstrings. You may actually have to put the book down for a bit, just to compose yourself...I know I did.

This book had me in tears. It had me laughing, and above all it put a smile on my face. As heartbreaking as Clockwork Prince is, I cannot deny how much this book drew me in. I loved that I got to learn more about Will, so so much. I love Will, and just like I did in Clockwork Angel, through CP, I just wanted to give the poor boy a hug. He's been through so much, and I promise you that even if you didn't like Will in Clockwork Angel, you will like him after Clockwork Prince...and that will tear you up inside.

I may love Will, but I still like Jem, and I think it's fantastic that in Clockwork Prince you see a new side of him. A happier and more playful one. Cassandra Clare has mentioned that if CA was Will's book, CP is Jem's...well, I don't really think it is. I think Clockwork Prince showcases them both, and I think ultimately, that makes it more difficult for the reader, and for Tessa. Both boys are so remarkable...yes, Will, too! Seriously, read CP if you don't believe me. :P The fact that they are both incredible, and they are so close makes it hard for the reader, and Tessa...I'll let you read the book to see how all of that plays out...although, it definitely won't really be settled until Clockwork Princess, but the fact that they're both so amazing makes it heartbreaking. You love them both, or at the very least you love one and like the other, and either way you want them both to be happy...and for both boys to be happy something clearly has to change....okay, I'm stopping this train of thought now because I'm starting to tear up, and I really want to avoid spoiling anything.

I've waited a while to post my review for Clockwork Prince, and it wasn't because I didn't like it, because I loved it...it was because I was so tormented after reading it. I'm still heartbroken over this book. I can't think of it without wanting to burst into tears, or at the very least, lapse into silence and think for a very long time. This book will linger in your mind long after you've read it, and it will have you wishing for Clockwork Princess like you have never wished for anything before.

If you've already read Clockwork Angel, then I doubt I need to tell you to read this one, but if you haven't started this series yet, you seriously need to. The Infernal Devices is a fantastic series! It's addictive, it's fast-paced, it's steampunk, and it has unbelievably and inconceivably remarkable characters! Seriously, this book and this series have me gushing. If you ever decide to take my personal advice on a book or series to read...it should be this one. I can only say I'm serious so much in one review...but honestly, get started on this series. You will not be sorry! :)

Any takers? Are you a newbie to Cassandra Clare and want to start one of her series?
Have you read Clockwork Prince already? Were you heartbroken? Were you satisfied? Are you craving more stat?

Happy Reading!!!

♪♫ Ambur

1 comment:

  1. SUCH a good book, holy moly. I'm still thinking about it too. And I totally agree with that whole paragraph, like whenever I think about it I get this ache in my stomach, because I feel so emotionally wrecked by it. I can't even imagine how Cassie is going to conclude the trilogy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D